What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Notre Dame is on fire

Well, didn't take long for the story to fall apart.
Some viewers following live coverage of the Notre-Dame Cathedral broadcast on YouTube were met with a strangely out of place info box offering facts about the September 11 attacks
Ironically, the feature is a tool designed to fact check topics that generate misinformation on the platform. It adds a small info box below videos that provides third-party factual information from YouTube partners — in this case Encyclopedia Britannica.

"We wish everyone to have correct factual information, and to that end we will automate our system to dispense incorrect information." - Mr. Al P. Google

To algorithms! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems!

4Mmkjm7.png

bLJr1nm.png

I can almost see the demon dropping from the ceiling to begin the boss fight.

Hopefully even Disney would help, given that Notre Dame is one of the quintessential locations for a Disney Film (that and Disney had a history of backing historical and nature works though his animation)...

It's part of everyone's History, not just my country's.
It's also a very important historical landmark, and not just a religious one, which mean donations won't be limited to religious people.

The entire fire was extinguished roughly one hour ago.
That doesn't mean that its is safe though, they need to ascertain that the stability of the building wasn't compromised.

Fuck you. Fuck you, fuck you fuck you fuck you little piece of shit.
That's like joking that the worlds trade centre shure is wobbly today TEN FUCKINH MINUTES AFTER 9/11!
Keep cool please, keep cool. I understand how his post would disturb you, but why would you wish him anything that would bring him pleasure ?

That doesn't mean that its is safe though, they need to ascertain that the stability of the building wasn't compromised.
Oh no worries, it was already done. You may have noticed that when there's something seriously on fire, or something serious is on fire, or there's some kind of really serious fire, besides the usual brandwagons the firefighter teams are riding in, there's usually a nice little van in cheerful colors present on site. That's a mobile command post. It has Engineering Intelligence system.

Oh no worries, it was already done. You may have noticed that when there's something seriously on fire, or something serious is on fire, or there's some kind of really serious fire, besides the usual brandwagons the firefighter teams are riding in, there's usually a nice little van in cheerful colors present on site. That's a mobile command post. It has Engineering Intelligence system.
It is still under evaluation. Ensuring long-term stability is a job that barely started.

For those with actual taste, the leading Foundation in France for historical monument preservation started a call for support here: https://don.fondation-patrimoine.org/SauvonsNotreDame/~mon-don

Already did my part, with a plushie's worth. It's part of everyone's History, not just my country's.

Fuck I wish I had money :(

I can almost see the demon dropping from the ceiling to begin the boss fight.

That would be a rather one sided fight considering the place is used to hold religious ceremonies constantly. It's still a church.

It is still under evaluation. Ensuring long-term stability is a job that barely started.
Evaluation hasn't yet even started. The building needs to cool off and set in before they'd be able to properly assess the damage, otherwise it's just a waste of effort as the margin of error in such a case can prove itself to be anything from merely 'too much' to 'are you fucking kidding me'. However, one of the main purposes of Engineering Intelligence systems and services in structure of Combat Engineering Troops is to check and tell, is this particular construction compromised, or is it safe. The hardware itself was originally invented to figure out, is this bridge merely glowing after a nuclear strike and we can actually use it to get our armor column on the other side, or we should construct a pontoon bridge. Is this particular damaged, partially collapses glowing bridge worth it to repair or we should not even bother, as it's going to take too much time. And so on, and so forth.

After a few decades of scientific and technological advancement and couple generations of hardware evolution such hardware has become precise, capable and reliable enough to be useful not only for the purposes of Combat Engineers in wartime, but for civilian purposes in peacetime. Like for the purpose of dealing with the fires. Modern systems can tell almost immediately is this building compromised and in danger of collapsing, partially or completely, or not.

Some People worked their entire lives to help build that cathedral. This is a true tragedy, to see a example of human intelligence and willpower go up in flames, caused by a chance accident no less.

I guess the bees are gone.

Fuck you. Fuck you, fuck you fuck you fuck you little piece of shit.
That's like joking that the worlds trade centre shure is wobbly today TEN FUCKINH MINUTES AFTER 9/11!
While I can understand why the post would be rather enraging, please keep calm and refrain from hurling abuse at Erwin.

Some People worked their entire lives to help build that cathedral. This is a true tragedy, to see a example of human intelligence and willpower go up in flames, caused by a chance accident no less.

Honestly, I am happier that it was an accident ran deliberate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even remotely happy that this happened, but it's far easier to think that it was a mistake on someone 's part that to contemplate someone deliberately destroying Notre Dame.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even remotely happy that this happened, but it's far easier to think that it was a mistake on someone 's part that to contemplate someone deliberately destroying Notre Dame.
You mean like this kind of shit?
dHhO47MAnL4.jpg

You mean like this kind of shit?
dHhO47MAnL4.jpg
Could he be crossing his fingers that the building be saved? Possibly.

Oh, wait, he's brown. So it must be an Islamic plot cheering for the downfall of the Church.

Context should be important, but who cares? Pics get clicks. Doesn't matter if the content is factually supported in any manner.

Could he be crossing his fingers that the building be saved? Possibly.

Oh, wait, he's brown. So it must be an Islamic plot cheering for the downfall of the Church.

Context should be important, but who cares? Pics get clicks. Doesn't matter if the content is factually supported in any manner.

He's... smiling.

Oh no, a smile. That looks like more getting attention at being directly on camera, which is common enough at news events, sometimes by much more obnoxious means. I mean, I guess he's demonstrating insufficient gravitas for most people, and so arguably being a bit of an ass, but it's silly for that to be noteworthy.

TBH there are more obnoxious reactions right here in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom