What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Trump-Russia Investigation Thread: Mueller Goes Terminator Edition

Reaction..

• Huh?

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Seriously?

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • ... are we in some crappy technothriller?

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • WTF?

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

As I mentioned in a couple of posts back, O'Donnell was spouting bullshit and has hence said "I'm sorry".

This is what has always happened with these stories. Unnamed source drops some bombshell that gets widely publicized. Soon thereafter, bombshell turns out to be false. Retraction is whispered. Liberals go nuts, conservatives feel vindicated, public discourse is degraded, media make lots of money.

This is the fourth time I've seen this mass hysteria happen in my lifetime. The first was the USSR is behind all the world's terrorism, then there was the Satanism scare, then WWD/Iraq is in league with terrorists.

Last edited:
Naw, I don't buy that. Comry deliberately dicked around with both parties. He wanted to be J Edgar Hoover or some shit. God, the legacy of that irredeemable monster (J Edgar Hoover, I mean). The FBI may still need some serious reworking to stamp out the last traces of his personality and legacy.

Like taking a sledgehammer to the kkk?

This whole thing has been riddled with people in the intelligence agencies trying to influence politics. This is very very bad. It's characteristic of politics in third-world or post-Soviet countries.

A consequence of appointing directors of intelligence agencies based on political agendas first and foremost perhaps?

Colour me unsurprised.

One of the things that creeps me the hell out about this whole thing (and maybe this was part of the motive?) is this newfound faith and trust that MSNBC liberals have acquired in the intelligence agencies. WTF? You're supposed to be the ones questioning authority, not blindly swallowing something some anonymous secret policeman says because his interests momentarily align with yours. They don't become more trustworthy just because you want what they're saying to be true. This is really depressing. Yay secret police! We believe you, people who run torture camps!

I realize that it seems like I am singling out liberals for my opprobrium, but I am actually closer to them on everything but foreign policy than I am to the GOP. This is just a manifestation of the mob mentality that is part and parcel of partisan politics. Libs aren't dumber or more gullible than conservatives by any means -- they just react the same way to propaganda when it is tailored to them.

this newfound faith and trust that MSNBC liberals have acquired in the intelligence agencies. WTF?
Many, many "expert commentators" on MSNBC but also on CNN and elsewhere are former intelligence services. Proven liars like Clapper have spent hours and hours telling viewers what they should believe, and they were by no means subtle. I don't know why the news stations give them so much time, whether it's just about the hype->drama->ratings business model or whether they also get some money for it (my bet is on the former) but it has turned mainstream US news into CIA / NSA / FBI / DNI propaganda machine.

Many, many "expert commentators" on MSNBC but also on CNN and elsewhere are former intelligence services. Proven liars like Clapper have spent hours and hours telling viewers what they should believe, and they were by no means subtle. I don't know why the news stations give them so much time, whether it's just about the hype->drama->ratings business model or whether they also get some money for it (my bet is on the former) but it has turned mainstream US news into CIA / NSA / FBI / DNI propaganda machine.

Hype, good soundbites and the good old American standby, the 'baffle them with bullshit' on the former intel weenies's part.

Just look at how John McAfee rose to fame.

Hype, good soundbites and the good old American standby, the 'baffle them with bullshit' on the former intel weenies's part.
I think you're right, but it's soooo ironic when afterwards they complain about polarization of the political debate and try to blame it all on external factors :rolleyes: Russophobia in the west is now close to what antisemitism was in the 3rd Reich.

I think you're right, but it's soooo ironic when afterwards they complain about polarization of the political debate and try to blame it all on external factors :rolleyes: Russophobia in the west is now close to what antisemitism was in the 3rd Reich.

Like I said before, America needs an outside force to hate and fear. Used to be imperialism (not theirs of course), then Nazis, then Communists, then Islamists (odd that they originally funded a lot of the chuckleheads running around spouting bullshit in Islam's name) and now it's back to Russia.

One wonders if America would crumble without outside and inside forces to hate and fear.

Like I said before, America needs an outside force to hate and fear. Used to be imperialism (not theirs of course), then Nazis, then Communists, then Islamists (odd that they originally funded a lot of the chuckleheads running around spouting bullshit in Islam's name) and now it's back to Russia.

One wonders if America would crumble without outside and inside forces to hate and fear.
Oh they will probably start hating themselves like the lead up to the Civil War.

It's not the GOP who is doing the xenophobia thing now. The dude going on about how the Iraq War was a horrible thing and we should let other countries do what they want and so on is Tucker Carlson (!), and the one talking about sinister foreign conspiracies and how we should be more interventionist is Rachel Maddow.

It's weird. The world has turned upside-down.

I think maybe this weird paranoid behavior is characteristic of people who feel under seige. Trump's victory really blindsided them. They spent so much energy telling themselves they were the wave of the future and then... BAM! Some kind of trauma.

Last edited:
Not exactly Trump/Russia, but this thread was wandered around a bit to general discussion of Trumpie and foreign relations/corruption... and I didn't feel like making another thread.

The Trump administration plunged into an extraordinary showdown with Congress Thursday over access to a whistleblower's complaint about reported incidents including a private conversation between President Donald Trump and a foreign leader. The blocked complaint is both "serious" and "urgent," the government's intelligence watchdog said.

The administration is keeping Congress from even learning what exactly the whistleblower is alleging, but the intelligence community's inspector general said the matter involves the "most significant" responsibilities of intelligence leadership. A lawmaker said the complaint was "based on a series of events."

The Washington Post and The New York Times reported Thursday evening that at least part of the complaint involves Ukraine. The newspapers cited anonymous sources familiar with the matter. The Associated Press has not confirmed the reports.

The inspector general appeared before the House intelligence committee behind closed doors Thursday but declined, under administration orders, to reveal to members the substance of the complaint.
"We are fully accountable and welcome whistleblowers going through channels to report unacceptable or even criminal actions of government officials... but we absolutely let anyone actually talk to whistleblowers, or to the IG, even if they are vetted elected members of congress who have the absolute right to look into these matters."

If you aren't reading the article, tl;dr - IG says that there is an urgent matter that congress must hear regarding a conversation between Trumpie and a foreign leader. National intelligence adviser consults with Trumpie and then states that the matter is totally not urgent at all, while the administration issues a gag order on the IG so he cannot speak to the relevant committee of congress.

Nothing to see here! Witch hunt! No collusion!

I wish some one would just man up and sing, it's not like jury nullification ain't a thing

"The newspapers cited anonymous sources familiar with the matter. "

Not this again
Yes this again. Expect frequency of anonymous bombshells to increase. And remember - anytime now! :ROFLMAO:

Yes this again. Expect frequency of anonymous bombshells to increase. And remember - anytime now! :ROFLMAO:

I dunno. That leaked NYT staff discussion seemed to imply that at least the NYT realizes that this stuff has run its course and instead they're going to focus on Trump's character.

It's hilarious
Baquet: OK. I mean, let me go back a little bit for one second to just repeat what I said in my in my short preamble about coverage. Chapter 1 of the story of Donald Trump, not only for our newsroom but, frankly, for our readers, was: Did Donald Trump have untoward relationships with the Russians, and was there obstruction of justice? That was a really hard story, by the way, let's not forget that. We set ourselves up to cover that story. I'm going to say it. We won two Pulitzer Prizes covering that story. And I think we covered that story better than anybody else.

The day Bob Mueller walked off that witness stand, two things happened. Our readers who want Donald Trump to go away suddenly thought, "Holy shit, Bob Mueller is not going to do it." And Donald Trump got a little emboldened politically, I think. Because, you know, for obvious reasons. And I think that the story changed. A lot of the stuff we're talking about started to emerge like six or seven weeks ago. We're a little tiny bit flat-footed. I mean, that's what happens when a story looks a certain way for two years. Right?

I think that we've got to change. I mean, the vision for coverage for the next two years is what I talked about earlier: How do we cover a guy who makes these kinds of remarks? How do we cover the world's reaction to him? How do we do that while continuing to cover his policies? How do we cover America, that's become so divided by Donald Trump? How do we grapple with all the stuff you all are talking about? How do we write about race in a thoughtful way, something we haven't done in a large way in a long time? That, to me, is the vision for coverage. You all are going to have to help us shape that vision. But I think that's what we're going to have to do for the rest of the next two years.

This is no longer a story where the Washington bureau every week nails some giant story by [Washington correspondent] Mike Schmidt that says that Donald Trump or Don McGahn did this. That will remain part of the story, but this is a different story now. This is a story that's going to call on different muscles for us. The next few weeks, we're gonna have to figure out what those muscles are.

Last edited:
I dunno. That leaked NYT staff discussion seemed to imply that at least the NYT realizes that this stuff has run its course and instead they're going to focus on Trump's character.
That could work if the discussion weren't so poisoned already. But after over 2 years of "sure proofs" and "anytime now," who will listen? In an environment so saturated with lies that nothing and nobody can be believed anymore you just pick your side and stick with it.

Back
Top Bottom