What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uncle Rubick's Russian military media and news thread.

Why ? Both versions are actually needed.
But no orders I've ever heard of. Actually, Russian industry has put out so much armored cars recently that no way in hell more that a couple of them would be adopted.

Some ghetto Combat Reconnaissance/Patrol Vehicle that makes the Belarusian BRDM successors look good.
One more low-cost BRDM mod? The old hull is clearly visible:
ZQL5Prq.jpg

From Ural. A light multipurpose truck with modular basis Ze "Ural-4966". Designed for transportation of goods weighing up to 4 tons plus the same weight trailer. It's basicly much needed replacement for the GaZ-66 and it's less lucky replacements. Doubt it will have quite the same off-road capability as the legend itself.. But I could very well be wrong.
Appears to have the same light and flexible frame that gives Shishiga its legendary offroading capability. And the same air bottles on the frame.

A mil variant of Electric motorcycle Vazar DUX. Doesn't look like they did shit except paint it olive green. Which smells of Iran and Hindu school of design.
Hey, it's basically a single guy hobby project (made from COTS parts mostly) that some one decided to market to the military. Give them some slack.

Weighing at 105 kg with a warhead of 25 kg of a high-explosive fragmentation type with a range of 14,5 km and speed of 230 m/s (828 km/h). Guidance provided by combined, inertial, satellite and optical thermal imaging homing head with a man in the loop capability.
Basically, a TV guidance at the lart leg, as I've heard.

But no orders I've ever heard of. Actually, Russian industry has put out so much armored cars recently that no way in hell more that a couple of them would be adopted.

And more then half of them looked like half assed attempts from early 90's. or 2000's. Strela and it's planned family isn't one of them. They did get funding from the state which bodes well. And if I'm not mistaken. It was reported years back that VDV was looking into amphibious capable vehicles up to 2 tons and 800 kg range. Strela family has a buggy variant planned in amphibious form and non amphibious one. And VDV is one of the few branches that seems to know what they want.

BTW how the heck do you fit 15 people into that soft skinned Strela ? The original envisioned concept looked so much better btw.

One more low-cost BRDM mod? The old hull is clearly visible:

Yeah, does look that way. Frankly don't see this gaining orders. (not even abroad) Next BRDM will probably be based on boomer and most likely on the planned 10 ton variant.

Appears to have the same light and flexible frame that gives Shishiga its legendary offroading capability. And the same air bottles on the frame.

Higher curb weight though and worse, higher center of gravity Certain slopes it won't handle like 66 would at least I don't think it would. * On the other hand higher ground clearance is a lot more useful in off road conditions on average.

* Family in Armenia had one with wider tires. That think made mountain goats blush.

Hey, it's basically a single guy hobby project (made from COTS parts mostly) that some one decided to market to the military. Give them some slack.

All the best to him.

Basically, a TV guidance at the lart leg, as I've heard.

Yeah, RF data-link for the 305 and from what I've heard Baikal will have just radio command along with homing head and inertial.

And more then half of them looked like half assed attempts from early 90's. or 2000's. Strela and it's planned family isn't one of them. They did get funding from the state which bodes well. And if I'm not mistaken. It was reported years back that VDV was looking into amphibious capable vehicles up to 2 tons and 800 kg range. Strela family has a buggy variant planned in amphibious form and non amphibious one. And VDV is one of the few branches that seems to know what they want.
Nice for them then. Still, I'd wait for a contract to be signed.

BTW how the heck do you fit 15 people into that soft skinned Strela ? The original envisioned concept looked so much better btw.
15 people is for the original Sobol van. If Strela fits ten, or even nine, it would be actually enough already.

Higher curb weight though and worse, higher center of gravity Certain slopes it won't handle like 66 would at least I don't think it would. * On the other hand higher ground clearance is a lot more useful in off road conditions on average. * Family in Armenia had one with wider tires. That think made mountain goats blush.
Aren't you confusing 66 with 62, which had foldable windshield and lacked portal axles of the 66's? The ole Shishiga is rather tall itself.

All the best to him.
And being COTS — including a commercial Chinese-made motor controller, with a smartphone for a dashboard, it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell to be adopted.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
And Russo-Indian deal abut AK-203 rifles has been finalised.

70.000 needed yesterday. All in all over 800.000 will be procured.

And INSAS will be replaced with AKs.

Besides that . . .

1629820678478.png

Russian "Brimstone" equivalent as press is trumpeting.

And also . . .

Russian SOFs use immersive VR sims for training. VDV was using similar system first actually for additional training for parachute jumping.

Well, at least the russian police are much more efficient than the lame murika one...

Article in "ARMOR" about BMPT and it's potential for enhancing armored formation. Also a question for US equivalent vehicle is considered.

pg. 79

Note as the author of the article "miraclously" rediscovered "male" and "female'' tanks used as one combined arms element.

Also of note, rumor says that US is going soon to uveil a new ASAT complex.

Which is mostly why for some time there is a persistent scuttlebut about restart of Kontakt project.

Two years ago some MiG-31s were appropriated for tests. Given the importance of the orbital infrstructure and Chinese establishmenet and continous developements of aerospace hardware for providing information-decision field for surface based forces, we will likely see proper militarisation of space within next decade.

And for relevance, history of the Soviet ASAT effort in a neat 22 pages long essey.

Last edited:
Aren't you confusing 66 with 62, which had foldable windshield and lacked portal axles of the 66's? The ole Shishiga is rather tall itself.

Compared to the other kin. Not really.

Anyway

Well, well, well, Ka-52 finally getting the ability to carry(I take it) and control UAV's. Took them long enough.. 2 decades in fact.

For people that don't read Russian. In red letters on the pod written: Container AC UAV.

8Hj2Lfw.png

Moving on

Model of a unarmored Sprut-SDM1

yNaQAfa.jpg

And

KPB Tula's 3d model of their kinetic man portable ATGM that they have and still are working on.

7oLRM7c.png

Last edited:
Compared to the other kin. Not really.

Anyway

Well, well, well, Ka-52 finally getting the ability to carry(I take it) and control UAV's. Took them long enough.. 2 decades in fact.

For people that don't read Russian. In red letters on the pod written: Container AC UAV.

8Hj2Lfw.png

Moving on

Model of a unarmored Sprut-SDM1

yNaQAfa.jpg

And

KPB Tula's 3d model of their kinetic man portable ATGM that they have and still are working on.

7oLRM7c.png

Kinetic, as in man portable LOAST?

And as to UAVs, we are talking about LAMs being integrated with helicopters, for at least some time. Chinese are doing the same also.

Kinetic, as in man portable LOAST?

Yes.

And as to UAVs, we are talking about LAMs being integrated with helicopters, for at least some time. Chinese are doing the same also.

Kamov had that idea and was planning to have UAV control and carry capability for the 52 at least since early 2000's. ZALA AERO GROUP was supposed to in late 2008 work on adopting one for Ka-52 with Kamov. But that never came to be until now it seems.

Yes.

Kamov had that idea and was planning to have UAV control and carry capability for the 52 at least since early 2000's. ZALA AERO GROUP was supposed to in late 2008 work on adopting one for Ka-52 with Kamov. But that never came to be until now it seems.

Ka-52 was to be a pinnacle of military technology, at least in original drafts.
In 1999 there was also idea to use Kamov made UAVs as forward spotters for Yastreb's AShMs.

Russian MoD signed a contract for the supply of a prototype of the Shturm heavy assault robotic complex on the base of T-72B from the the Ural Design Bureau of Transport Engineering. Also a contract for Uran-14 fire fighting variants.

With which combat module, either the short-barreled 125-mm smoothbore or the twin 30-mm automatic cannons, 7.62 mm PKTM and RPO-2 armed variant isn't known.

QIxcFZb.jpg

3trYnOA.jpg

Moving on

TOS-1 and TOS-1A are going to get modernized with new FCS and Comms along with long-range ammunition from TOS-2 which will raise the range up to 15 kilometers.

you mean a dozer blade? You don't really clear mines with a dozer blade. I mean it's done but more an on the spot way. Shturm heavy assault robotic complex is meant for urban and suburb engagements. Hench the dozer blade.

Edit

Technically a wedge rather then a blade.

Last edited:
I am a bit curious. The second one is armed similarly to the BMPT but with a front shovel? I guess mine clearance?
Shtorm is going to be a modular system. They are writing about them for past 2-3 years actually. And yes, the second one is an AFV variant is a TSV. In the edition of Armor magazine I have provided before you have description of whole concept and potential benefits of it's introduction. US proposed use is copypasta from proposed Russian doctrine.

I am a bit curious. The second one is armed similarly to the BMPT but with a front shovel? I guess mine clearance?

Just like Rubic said. For mine clerance you have line charges and "harpoons" (short range rocket boosted several hundred kilos of high explosive). The mentioned variant is for urban warfare, but mind that whole system is modular and there are also other variants for other tasks and types of battlefield.

In other news, blac series continues as another RuAF aircraft crashes
It is fiftht accident during last month.

1 August - Su-35S
17 August - Il-112 V
18 August - MiG - 28 SMT
23 August - MiG-29
27 August - Su-24

Last edited:
NEWS

After critical article made by defense24 about state of the Russian Air Forces and defense industry production capabilities, Russia retaliates.

Genaral Vladimir Popov himself undertook task of fighting the aggressive critique.

Original aricle which is a subject of ontological conflict:

It's a bit pot kettle black considering the Polish military industry is nonexistent now. Rebuilding an industry takes time and at the least, Russia has a relatively modern low bypass turbofan, something they had few of during Soviet times.

It's a bit pot kettle black considering the Polish military industry is nonexistent now. Rebuilding an industry takes time and at the least, Russia has a relatively modern low bypass turbofan, something they had few of during Soviet times.

Polish military industry seems to be a joke now, at least public part of it. Private on the other hand is something quite different. Look upon WB Electronics and their Warmates, including 2.0, swarming capabilities and backpack microLAMs.
And FONET comms being used for US JLTVs.

Pre 1989 we Poles were the only ones who were aside USSR building and exporting IADS integrating computer systems (hardware and software), de facto BMS on our side of Iron Curtain, courtesy of ELWRO, the same that was after building one of the largest automated assemblies of computers in whole Europe, build and fitted with the best imported Western equipement was sold out and razed thanks to the privatisation effort of the new govenrment run by Solidarities and KORists.

TOS 2. Kinda starting to warm up to the thing.

Anyway, it seems it's new rounds are smoke and thermobaric with fragmentation (like the RShG Rocket-propelled Assault Grenades )

Back
Top Bottom