What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

United Nations could run out of money by the end of the month

Alias

So as the title says, the UN may run out of money by the end of October. Though I'm gonna guess that somebody, group or mixture of the previous two will provide the money so that various UN services among other things such as providing aid for refugees will continue.

Wonder if they should contemplated doing some crowd funding like GoFundMe or something...

Last edited:
Let me guess, it died an inglorious death?
Uh, no, it exists to 2100. But the Security Council got disbanded after the US left the organization in 2034, and the HQ was moved to Geneva. The General Assembly still meets and elect Secretary-General, but many members no longer send the delegations, so the Assembly just decides things by the agreement of those present and voting. Several UN agencies still exist as well. They no longer recruit Blue Helmets from their members but hire mercenaries instead when their budget permits.

Uh, no, it exists to 2100. But the Security Council got disbanded after the US left the organization in 2034, and the HQ was moved to Geneva. The General Assembly still meets and elect Secretary-General, but many members no longer send the delegations, so the Assembly just decides things by the agreement of those present and voting. Several UN agencies still exist as well. They no longer recruit Blue Helmets from their members but hire mercenaries instead when their budget permits.
In my A New World setting, the UN got killed by a combination of the world being effectively 'on fire' and Russia putting the final nail in the coffin. Quite a few of the organizations survived (with quite a few of the 'blue hats' not going back to their respective nations, including Pakistanis (whose nation is now a Fallout LARP), Indians (whose nation collapsed after the Pakistani-Indian Nuclear War), Americans, Germans, and Koreans and thus created the core of the military of SolForce) the disbandment and went on to create the core of SolForce who became the self-proclaimed successor of the UN.

Oh, and they're one of the most powerful in the setting, able to field hundreds of millions of soldiers at the minimum.

Oh, and the leader is called the Director-General and isn't directly elected but negotiated by the tricameral legislature (one for the population, one for the districts, and one for the various departments -called 'sections'-) and the Council of Sections.

In my A New World setting, the UN got killed by a combination of the world being effectively 'on fire' and Russia putting the final nail in the coffin. Quite a few of the organizations survived (with quite a few of the 'blue hats' not going back to their respective nations, including Pakistanis (whose nation is now a Fallout LARP), Indians (whose nation collapsed after the Pakistani-Indian Nuclear War), Americans, Germans, and Koreans and thus created the core of the military of SolForce) the disbandment and went on to create the core of SolForce who became the self-proclaimed successor of the UN.

Oh, and they're one of the most powerful in the setting, able to field hundreds of millions of soldiers at the minimum.

Oh, and the leader is called the Director-General and isn't directly elected but negotiated by the tricameral legislature (one for the population, one for the districts, and one for the various departments -called 'sections'-) and the Council of Sections.
That makes me think, I am trying to reboot my Twilight Age/Erde setting as well, but this time as sorta-Sci-fi instead of Fantasy. Probably going to post a brief rundown of a new setting soon.

That makes me think, I am trying to reboot my Twilight Age/Erde setting as well, but this time as sorta-Sci-fi instead of Fantasy. Probably going to post a brief rundown of a new setting soon.
Give me a howler when you set it up.

Please restrict discussion to the UN of our timeline and not fictional ones in this thread please. :p
Well, it is due to the money situation that we're discussing how it would change/end... but yeah sorry about the derail...

So...who didn't pay their UN dues this time around?

I mean, freaking Syria paid their dues. Seriously, what the heck? Is the USA still behind in paying their arrears again?

Yo, @Arius dish some info, man.

I mean, freaking Syria paid their dues. Seriously, what the heck? Is the USA still behind in paying their arrears again?

Yo, @Arius dish some info, man.
The US is one of the countries not paying the full amount it's supposed too. Though it's not surprising. Trump is not a fan of the UN.

More like still. About $300 million was left owing before this year, now it is up to $1 billion. Out of $1.3 billion owing from 64 counties.

But, hey, at least there is money for the fucking useless wall.

The US is one of the countries not paying the full amount it's supposed too. Though it's not surprising. Trump is not a fan of the UN.

It's been a problem since long before Trump, @Alias. Like, Congress refused to pay it's UN dues since 1985, got a reduction from $1.3 billion dollars to $612 million, and only finished paying in the 2000s.

Edit: and it seems they didn't pay newer dues after that if I understand @Lerticus correctly.

It's been a problem since long before Trump, @Alias. Like, Congress refused to pay it's UN dues since 1985, got a reduction from $1.3 billion dollars to $612 million, and only finished paying in the 2000s.

Edit: and it seems they didn't pay newer dues after that if I understand @Lerticus correctly.
I know that, but Trump's cut the money for 2019 that's supposed to go to UNRWA. Also I got a history degree so I'm well aware of the history of US-UN relations.

I know that, but Trump's cut the money for 2019 that's supposed to go to UNRWA. Also I got a history degree so I'm well aware of the history US-UN relations.

Oh....

*Go look for neuralizer to make @Alias forget about dugong's attempt to show off*

Ok, look here please...

*Puts on sunglasses*

I wonder if the morons that don't pay their dues realize what will happen if the UN stops doing the heavy lifting in all sorts of disasters and refugee situations around the world.

I wonder if the morons that don't pay their dues realize what will happen if the UN stops doing the heavy lifting in all sorts of disasters and refugee situations around the world.
Not much, I assume. Then again we're living in a world where memetic hazard induced movements are actually a thing (Anti-Vaxx is one such movement)...

It's very telling to me, that when people speak of the UN, they often imagine it as a better, fictional version of itself. :ROFLMAO:

It's very telling to me, that when people speak of the UN, they often imagine it as a better, fictional version of itself. :ROFLMAO:

Uh what do you mean? It is a disfanctional mess as far as actual governing goes but the humanitarian and disaster relief services seem to be doing an at least adequate job, money constraints and all?

Uh what do you mean? It is a disfanctional mess as far as actual governing goes but the humanitarian and disaster relief services seem to be doing an at least adequate job, money constraints and all?
It is more the conspiracy brigades of various nativists and populists (often also religious groups that feel that they have the answers to prophecies on lock) that thought decades ago that the creation of the UN would lead to an inevitable oppressive world government where all national identity would be ripped away and everyone would be forced into some sort of a hive mind from which there would be no escape.

Meanwhile, in reality, it is a chamber where nothing gets done, backed by a bunch of mostly anonymous officials that run various programs on relatively tiny budgets.

Still, the fiction of the mighty global order run by the UN abounds.

It is more the conspiracy brigades of various nativists and populists (often also religious groups that feel that they have the answers to prophecies on lock) that thought decades ago that the creation of the UN would lead to an inevitable oppressive world government where all national identity would be ripped away and everyone would be forced into some sort of a hive mind from which there would be no escape.

Meanwhile, in reality, it is a chamber where nothing gets done, backed by a bunch of mostly anonymous officials that run various programs on relatively tiny budgets.

Really, the General Assembly is only there for the budget for actually useful agencies under the UN, and as you can see, it fails even at that.

Also, their peacekeepers rape children, right under the noses of their actual fucking delegates.

Back
Top Bottom