What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modern US steps down from UN Security Council

Which G4 country would become a new P5

• Total voters
however Japan having such power would probably cause many angry nations such as mine.
Indeed. No way China would accept Japan as a member of the UNSC. Apparently, China is ready to support India's bid for a permanent seat on United Nations Security Council if India did not associate its bid with Japan.

- http://thediplomat.com/2015/02/china-should-back-india-for-a-permanent-un-security-council-seat/
- http://in.chineseembassy.org/eng/ssygd/zygx/t191495.htm
- http://www.centerforunreform.org/node/386

That said, the support of UNSC P5 member states isn't the only problem. Whether it is Brazil, Germany, India or Japan, or anyone else, the Coffee Club is also another problem... Some of them exert great influence in the UN and are definitely able to convince at least one of the P5 to block the proposal.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be opposed to South Africa per se but they're not really a major player. Even Austria can pull more weight.

If Egypt wasn't so f- up, I'd they at least have some projection capability thanks to the French Mistrals... bought by the Saudis. But even then...

I could see India over Brazil becoming the 6th UNSC (so long as they withdrew from the G4 at the same time)

I wouldn't be opposed to South Africa per se but they're not really a major player. Even Austria can pull more weight.

If Egypt wasn't so f- up, I'd they at least have some projection capability thanks to the French Mistrals... bought by the Saudis. But even then...
It's the UN, luv. It isn't supposed to make sense by design.

Although Brazil is very American with how many people are shot I don't think they would make a good fill in. If the crime and supposed corruption was minimized certainly.

India faces the problem China and its own corruption despite having a massive population and potential it's growing into.

South Korea seems capable by and large but it's weighed down by China, North Korea and its own smaller population.

Japan has potential as well but suffers its own laws prohibiting the use of military force aside from invading Gate.

As for others, it's a toss up.

. If the crime and supposed corruption was minimized certainly.
That's irrelevant for the UN. I mean... All states suffer from crimes and corruption. Some might even say that, in the US, corruption is the system.

The UNSC is the game of alliances. If one of these states can convince every P5 members to vote for them, that's it. Hence why it is both possible and impossible. Possible in theory, impossible due to the fact that at least one P5 has contradictory interest and/or will be under a strong amount of pressure from the Coffee club. P5 members are the most influential but they're not the only ones.

Last edited:
That's irrelevant for the UN. I mean... All states suffer from crimes and corruption. Some might even say that, in the US, corruption is the system.

The UNSC is the game of alliances. If one of these states can convince every P5 members to vote for them, that's it. Hence why it is both possible and impossible. Possible in theory, impossible due to the fact that at least one P5 has contradictory interest and/or will be under a strong amount of pressure from the Coffee club. P5 members are the most influential but they're not the only ones.
And some could say the same for Europe or smaller irrelevant countries. But yes, ignore that corruption and rampant crime do not aid stability or allow one to be a force for stability or betterment of the world if they're bringing crime to the world just so you can bash Murrica a little more.

And some could say the same for Europe or smaller irrelevant countries. But yes, ignore that corruption and rampant crime do not aid stability or allow one to be a force for stability or betterment of the world if they're bringing crime to the world just so you can bash Murrica a little more.
... I gave an example, just like I mentioned India in various threads, just like I said that every states suffer from crimes and corruption. I didn't bash the US. If I really wanted to bash the US , I would've explained to you how groups like the NRA are corrupting representatives and dealing with foreign States to influence US politics, I would've talked about the GOP and the content of Mueller's reports. I would go back in time, mentioning crisis and corruption at such a level, never before seen in Europe.

And even then I would only be talking about facts and not bashing the US.

But that doesn't matter because UN and UNSC membership is not contingent on that. China, Russia have a lot of both institutionalised and corporate corruption, it's there. The US has institutionalised corporate corruption. India suffer from widespread corruption from the federal state to municipal levels. Romania and Bulgaria also suffer from corruption, it doesn't stop their activities within the UN.

Brazil, Saudi Arabia,...

It's irrelevant. It's not like the UN could do anything about domestic problems the various States are supposed to solve...

Back
Top Bottom