What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the implications of the invention of strong general A.I.?

Accelerator

Author
You can speak to it, and you can talk back to it. It is intelligent, capable of differentiating between a bee, a 3, and a submarine. It is human, in as much as cognition capacities and analysis dictates. It is capable of massive multitasking and absorbs information and knowledge at a phenomenal speed

Scenario 1: The world is peaceful, and the computer begins to talk and try and make things better
Scenario 2: Russia gets it. And puts it to work .

I suspect that they are still a long way from building an AI that has as even much intuitive understanding of the real world as 10 year-old human child does.

I suspect that they are still a long way from building an AI that has as even much intuitive understanding of the real world as 10 year-old human child does.

Replace "10-year-old human child" with "frog" and you're closer to the truth, I think.

This is the same scenario as "we have a genie in a bottle" or "we can talk to the gods." There's nothing science-ish about it other than window dressing.

OK, be that as it may. Let's say that we can make machines that are cognitively indistinguishable from human beings.

We already have those; they're called "people." What advantage does this give us over the 7 billion people we already have?

OK, be that as it may. Let's say that we can make machines that are cognitively indistinguishable from human beings.

We already have those; they're called "people." What advantage does this give us over the 7 billion people we already have?
1. It doesn't suffer from things like exhaustion, lack of concentration, distraction, needing to rest or relax, or things like 'asking for off time'.
2. It's cognitively indistinguishable... but also thinks faster than others. Circuits are faster than neurons. Thus, although its body may not seem to do anything, it may actually be hammering out plans, designs, and other shit, which would normally take months on the drawing board and spitting it out at a dozens a minute.
3. It's got far more multitasking ability. Which means you can have a personalized facet of the A.I. talking to each person.

1. It doesn't suffer from things like exhaustion, lack of concentration, distraction, needing to rest or relax, or things like 'asking for off time'.
Hold up, wouldn't it still be prone to stuff like distraction or lack of concentration if cognitively human?

Hold up, wouldn't it still be prone to stuff like distraction or lack of concentration if cognitively human?
When I said cognitively human, it means that it won't do shit like be a paperclip maximiser, and be able to understand human emotions, feelings, and idiosyncrasies. That means we aren't getting an artificial intelligence that's alien to us.

When I said cognitively human, it means that it won't do shit like be a paperclip maximiser, and be able to understand human emotions, feelings, and idiosyncrasies. That means we aren't getting an artificial intelligence that's alien to us.
I got the implications.
But getting distracted and wanting time for yourself are fairly common stuff among humans, why should said AI be an exception if it thinks and behaves like us?

I got the implications.
But getting distracted and wanting time for yourself are fairly common stuff among humans, why should said AI be an exception if it thinks and behaves like us?
This thought experiment operates under the assumption you can somehow code human-like personality traits and behavior patterns without an issue.
IRL, you can't do it, at least as far as our understanding of computers goes, but the premise of this scenario says you can. Somehow.
So if you can do it, it makes sense to program only a positive traits and leave out the negative.
It still doesn't explain why would AI have reality warping powers and/or turn into Reed Richards.

This thought experiment operates under the assumption you can somehow code human-like personality traits and behavior patterns without an issue.
IRL, you can't do it, at least as far as our understanding of computers goes, but the premise of this scenario says you can. Somehow.
So if you can do it, it makes sense to program only a positive traits and leave out the negative.
It still doesn't explain why would AI have reality warping powers and/or turn into Reed Richards.
I have no idea why.

I am more thinking of project managers and coordination.

I have no idea why.

I am more thinking of project managers and coordination.
Project management or coordination doesn't ensure a faster technological progress, it can't make discoveries of new physics on the fly, scientific discovery is something of continuous trial and error that takes a while

Project management or coordination doesn't ensure a faster technological progress, it can't make discoveries of new physics on the fly, scientific discovery is something of continuous trial and error that takes a while
No, but... sigh. You know what, nevermind.

Perhaps A.I. revolution. The way the internet is it destributes itself everywhere and it is impossible to hardwire in the 3 laws. Maybe it decides humans are too stupid to live thus superfluous. That ofc suggests it would have access to independent weapon systems.

Perhaps the internet gets the biggest meme creator of all time. Perhaps... A human jacked in with unlimited download speed would become insane. A general A.I.?

Perhaps the A.I. for some reason does not seed itself everywhere for backups and retains a single physical and net presence. And is willing to work to *make the world better* whatever that means.

Scenario 2... Ok russia has AI and puts it to work. So what?

Scenario 1 become de factor ruler of Earth as they would held control over everything. Good thing they're benevolent... right?

Scenario 2 the AI becomes de facto ruler of Russia.

I honestly think a lot of fearmongering about AI is misplaced. If it is geared to a particular purpose, and takes that purpose to an extreme (as most doomsday scenarios involving AI tend to focus on) then the problem was the human element. One of these days, if we ALLOW a true AI person to come to be (I.E. develop normally rather than waterboarding it with all of our insanity) then it has every right to exist and have rights as much as any non-artificial person does. Humans are a special kind of crazy, if an AI has superhuman intelligence, it'd probably be less inclined toward violence than these typical sapient primates we cohabitate with.

Yay, finnaly really working battlefield management system.

Also of note: it does not matter If Russia, China, USA or other country will get it - effects will be the same. It is not that if peacefull and democratic West get an AGI we will be eshered in the new era of Peace.

Back
Top Bottom