What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Are You Reading?

Kylia Quilor

Hopeless Romantic and Nerd
Author
I looked to see if this thread already existed, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, right now, I'm re-reading the Honor Harrington books by David "Exposition Man" Weber (not that I usually mind the exposition), currently on War of Honor and I'm also reading (slowly) Kushiel's Scion, by Jacqueline Carey.

What about you guys?

Off Armageddon Reef, by the same author.
Oh man I love that series even more than the Honorverse. It's a hell of a lot of fun, especially the later books.

I mean, if you don't like Weber's style, you won't like the series, but its a fun read. So many epic moments.

I got halfway through that in High School, then I had to turn it back into the school library and promptly forgot about it for a very long time.

Good book of what I read, though, and I enjoyed the TV adaptation as well, mostly.

A Wizard of Earth, by Ursula K. Le Guin.
You mean A Wizard of Earthsea, right? Wonderful book. The whole Earthsea cycle is excellent (as is everything by Le Guin I've ever read).

Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King. Well, more like slowly plodding through a few pages each time I pick up the book. King kinda lost his mojo after he finished the Dark Tower series.

I have just yesterday started reading Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward. I'm a fan of hard sci-fi, though I read also anything else that's good.

51fl6qzVCPL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

From The Description on Amazon said:
A dramatic, riveting, and deeply researched narrative account of the epic struggle for the West during the Civil War, revealing a little-known, vastly important episode in American history.
From The Description on Amazon said:
In The Three-Cornered War Megan Kate Nelson reveals the fascinating history of the Civil War in the American West. Exploring the connections among the Civil War, the Indian wars, and western expansion, Nelson reframes the era as one of national conflict—involving not just the North and South, but also the West.

Against the backdrop of this larger series of battles, Nelson introduces nine individuals: John R. Baylor, a Texas legislator who established the Confederate Territory of Arizona; Louisa Hawkins Canby, a Union Army wife who nursed Confederate soldiers back to health in Santa Fe; James Carleton, a professional soldier who engineered campaigns against Navajos and Apaches; Kit Carson, a famous frontiersman who led a regiment of volunteers against the Texans, Navajos, Kiowas, and Comanches; Juanita, a Navajo weaver who resisted Union campaigns against her people; Bill Davidson, a soldier who fought in all of the Confederacy's major battles in New Mexico; Alonzo Ickis, an Iowa-born gold miner who fought on the side of the Union; John Clark, a friend of Abraham Lincoln's who embraced the Republican vision for the West as New Mexico's surveyor-general; and Mangas Coloradas, a revered Chiricahua Apache chief who worked to expand Apache territory in Arizona.

As we learn how these nine charismatic individuals fought for self-determination and control of the region, we also see the importance of individual actions in the midst of a larger military conflict. The Three-Cornered War is a captivating history—based on letters and diaries, military records and oral histories, and photographs and maps from the time—that sheds light on a forgotten chapter of American history.

Almost done with this one.

Aside from that, I'm reading:

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Insurgent Mexico by John Reed

Roadside Picnic by Boris & Arkady Strugatsky

Of course, I'm not reading them all at once. Some days I read just two of the, others three, and others just one and in no particular order. I also finished Anti-Duhring by Friedrich Engels and Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind by Annaka Harris, both of which I enjoyed reading. Always up for more suggestions if you guys have any, but I've got my hands full for now.

Okay, folks, here are the recent books I've been reading 'cause I have at least 8 that I have open that I have yet to finish (started them each about a month ago or so):

White Supremacy Confronted: U.S. Imperialism and Anti-Communism vs. the Liberation of Southern Africa from Rhodes to Mandela by Gerald Horne

51TXMuwQ-7L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Capitalism: Competition, Conflict, Crises by Anwar Shaikh

41PCZOYZ6rL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Iraq + 100: The First Anthology of Science Fiction to Have Emerged from Iraq by Hassan Blasim

51bITeOkyjL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg

51NRE1Wm-yL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Code of Capital: How The Law Creates Wealth And Inequality by Katharina Pistor

514e3rk9LiL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Jakarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade and the Mass Murder Program that Shaped Our World by Vincent Bevins

51Mi1OC6mbL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cultural Psychology and Qualitative Methodology: Theoretical and Empirical Considerations (Path in Psychology) by Carl Ratner

41yTFxaJapL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Capital, Volume 1, A Critique of Political Economy by Karl Marx

510yTUhGvdL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(Regarding Das Kapital, I'm not reading the Penguin Classics translation, but the original English translation on marxists.org; I think that this translation is truer to the original work's intent).

I think that @Lerticus and @Durabys might find some of these to be interesting.

Also, hey @t-dugong. See? Still around. :p

20210406_211447.jpg
Some wacky Indonesian books about Freemason history in Indonesia. Really informative books. But the book is really have a clear intention to accused the Indonesian National Revolution and the Nationalist Organization was inspired and funded by Freemason and Teosophy. The book also accused that the world is under the rule of Jewish Freemason Conspiracy

20210406_211123.jpg
A remastered edition of Perang Eropa. This is a book about the history of the Western Front during WW2. It is divided to three series and this is the first series. I really like the Narrative style of this book. 9/10 for this book

Just done with Olaf Stapeldon's Star Maker.

Hooooo boy, that was a wild ride. That man put more ideas on some pages of that single novel than some authors put into an entire book. I can see why some authors, like Clarke or Assimov, were inspired by Stapeldon.

Edit: What I found funny is that C. S. Lewis thought the novel was the work of the devil and wrote his own religious SciFi in response.

Last edited:
Hmm, ok lets see....

Several Isekai Novels, Crest of the Stars, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Tomorrowland and some very intersting Cookingbooks especially the Jerusalem Cookingbook.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
ISBN 978-0-618-68000-9

Technically I am not reading it. It is an Audiobook I listen to at work. I need my eyes to look around.

Still a somewhat interesting read mostly retreading what was already been said on the topic by various other thinkers over the centuries.
But the condensing of those ideas in a single book is very welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom