What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your most controversial or unpopular opinions?

Most communists push this. The ones that have gotten into power anyway. Way easier to control people with it and, on top, it's more stable.
Was listing it as part of the general social conservatism of Pol Pot and Co. and they were only about the Nuclear family. They discouraged the larger extended families/clans that had been the local norm before.

Was listing it as part of the general social conservatism of Pol Pot and Co. and they were only about the Nuclear family. They discouraged the larger extended families/clans that had been the local norm before.

Fair cop, just not a left/right thing.

Fair cop, just not a left/right thing.
Like I said the khmer rouge were weird. Like the soviets and chavistas at least *inspired* by Marx, but Pol Pot basically had collectivized farming and that was it.

Any strategy game that does not give me the option to wipe out the locals so I can then take over their land is a boring strategy game.

Unless I can shoot aliens in it, then it's an alright one.

Any strategy game that does not give me the option to wipe out the locals so I can then take over their land is a boring strategy game.

Unless I can shoot aliens in it, then it's an alright one.
M8 tell me a strategy game where you can't do that.

Being a furry should qualify as a mental issue (By that I mean the full-on fursuitter zoophiles, not people who just enjoy the idea of anthropomorphic animals and the stories/art relating to them).

I do like the thoughtful critics of the USA, and let's face it, they did a lot of fucked-up things and made a lot of mistakes. But more often than not, America or 'Not America, honest!' faction is basically portrayed as the Galactic Empire from Star Wars.

It is galling when it comes from the Japanese media, and especially when it is from the right-wing sources since it is clear that they are just butthurt over losing the war.

I do like the thoughtful critics of the USA, and let's face it, they did a lot of fucked-up things and made a lot of mistakes. But more often than not, America or 'Not America, honest!' faction is basically portrayed as the Galactic Empire from Star Wars.

It is galling when it comes from the Japanese media, and especially when it is from the right-wing sources since it is clear that they are just butthurt over losing the war.
The thing is, out of all the nations in the history of the World, two (to my immediate knowledge) of them can be considered the least bastardly: US and Imperial Germany. Everyone else is either basically genocide happy scumbags (Britain and France got away with a lot during their times as empires, including 'genocides that aren't labeled genocides' and one of the reasons that much of SE Asia doesn't trust China is that many of them have a history with China during their Imperial days trying to genocide them either culturally or quite literally), likes to do the old 'colonize' thing (Tzarist Russia being a prime example of this), and I'll be going down the list forever and go beyond the word limit by the time I'm done.

Let's just say that what the US and Imperial Germany did was chump change in the annals of history. It doesn't make them any less bad, but it helps to put it into perspective.

Belgian Congo, under King Leopold?

The thing is, out of all the nations in the history of the World, two (to my immediate knowledge) of them can be considered the least bastardly: US and Imperial Germany. Everyone else is either basically genocide happy scumbags (Britain and France got away with a lot during their times as empires, including 'genocides that aren't labeled genocides' and one of the reasons that much of SE Asia doesn't trust China is that many of them have a history with China during their Imperial days trying to genocide them either culturally or quite literally), likes to do the old 'colonize' thing (Tzarist Russia being a prime example of this), and I'll be going down the list forever and go beyond the word limit by the time I'm done.

Dude, the Americans depopulated and "colonized" a whole continent.

Let's just say that what the US and Imperial Germany did was chump change in the annals of history. It doesn't make them any less bad, but it helps to put it into perspective.

Uhhhh

The Germans committed genocides in Namibia and Hereroland and the US also committed genocide on native populacs.

As a Liberal, I see simply surviving another day is a victory itself, because we won't have that in the world where the Left or the Right-wing is victorious.

I don't like it when some people say that Warhammer should go back to it's supposedly 'satirical' Rogue Trader root and decry it for 'taking itself seriously'.

Well, guess what? There are plenty of people who entered the fandom after it has started to take itself seriously and like it for that. I am one of them. And I am not inclined to go back to the supposed root that I don't even know.

It's like telling that all humans should go back to being hunter-gatherers because that's our root. Or that every human should live in Africa because that's where we as a species are from.

And I really want to tell those people to go back to their retirement home and clean their dentures.

I don't like it when some people say that Warhammer should go back to it's supposedly 'satirical' Rogue Trader root and decry it for 'taking itself seriously'.

Well, guess what? There are plenty of people who entered the fandom after it has started to take itself seriously and like it for that. I am one of them. And I am not inclined to go back to the supposed root that I don't even know.

It's like telling that all humans should go back to being hunter-gatherers because that's our root. Or that every human should live in Africa because that's where we as a species are from.

And I really want to tell those people to go back to their retirement home and clean their dentures.
Anyone who tries to say warhammer is satire is, to put it bluntly, really fucking stupid. It hasn't been satire or parody for a long, long time. I mean, I'm currently listening to an audio book called 'The assasination of Gabriel Seth', and I assure you, there's no parody in there.

Anyone who tries to say warhammer is satire is, to put it bluntly, really fucking stupid. It hasn't been satire or parody for a long, long time. I mean, I'm currently listening to an audio book called 'The assasination of Gabriel Seth', and I assure you, there's no parody in there.
Humor died with the squats.

Some say that orks are funny, but exactly how many ork-as-protagonist stories have been written?

Satire is the Starship Troopers movie. It takes the serious topic, turns it into comedic fodder, and then translates it back into a pantomime of seriousness. 40K is seriousness that occasionally gets so absurd that you want to laugh, but then turns on you and yells "Why you fucking laughing!? This is serious business!"

If it were just the tabletop game you could look at the weirdly proportioned units and go "tee-hee!" But the novels and video games have been more accessible (you can get a lot for the cost of a small-cost faction army), and other than some silly-ish ork cutscene antics the entire thing is deathly serious. You can't argue like some old hippy that the universe that most people will have interactions with is not "the real deal, maaaan!", and that it is all a joke because decades ago it was meant to be funny.

I believe democracy is insufficient in the fight against climate change.
Democracy is the worst in general because it allows the ignorant to put their ignorance into policy. Especially as we enter a world where memetic warfare is a genuine thing.

Back
Top Bottom