What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the earliest times that you could produce an arc lamp?

Accelerator

Author

Surprisingly simple. Two carbon electrodes, and one battery. The question is this. When is the earliest time it could have been invented, or created? I'm not talking about historical plausibility. I'm talking about technology to purify the carbon and set up the battery.

I guess the chinese could have invented it during the xvii-early xviii century? Qing china had plenty of technological things that would almost match the industrial revolution's.

I guess the chinese could have invented it during the xvii-early xviii century? Qing china had plenty of technological things that would almost match the industrial revolution's.
I've just been on reddit. You get carbon rods from graphite. You get wires from copper (I'm sure you can make them). Now the question is this. Can you make a battery?

I've just been on reddit. You get carbon rods from graphite. You get wires from copper (I'm sure you can make them). Now the question is this. Can you make a battery?
Primitive batteries existed as early as the late 1700s. The common lead-acid battery (which was the first type of battery that could be recharged by running a reverse current through it) we use today was invented in 1859 by Gaston Plante.

The oldest electrical generator used for industrial applications has existed since 1844.

I would say probably the mid to late 1800s.

EDIT: To clarify I'm talking about when it would actually be practical to make arc lamps available for common use. I'm aware the first arc lamp was invented in the early 1800s.

Last edited:
Arc lamps need quite a bit of voltage to work. That means you need a generator and a transformer. A battery alone isn't going to sufficient, or you need lots of them in series.

Then hope you don't deplete them too quickly.

Arc lamps need quite a bit of voltage to work. That means you need a generator and a transformer. A battery alone isn't going to sufficient, or you need lots of them in series.

Then hope you don't deplete them too quickly.
Shit then you need a river or someone turning a generator. I.... Don't have a lot of understanding in physics. How much energy in a river would you need?

Shit then you need a river or someone turning a generator. I.... Don't have a lot of understanding in physics. How much energy in a river would you need?
I'm no engineer but there are formulas and online calculators for figuring out theoretical hydropower. I'm not sure about the exact power requirements of an arc lamp though.

Last edited:
What about the Baghdad Battery?

Okay, what about when Noah let all the animals out, and made the Ark light?

Back
Top Bottom