What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your Opinion on asymetrical designed Spaceships ??

Aetherius

Author
What the Titel of this Thread says....

What is your Opinion on asymetrical designed Spaceships, such as the Milenium Falcon ?

Ok, i´ve recently tried the latest patch of Star Citizen, in wich Pilots can try out several Ships.
Among them is a, lets say very curious designed Ship. The Mercury Star Runner.

As i was walking around the Ship, i asked myself, why ? Why this asymetrical design ?
It doesnt add any bonus to the abilites of the ship, so, why this particular design then ?

So, with that being said, what is your Opinion on asymetrical designed Ships ??

Well to the why, I was always partial to the Star Wars explanation for the more out there designs.

Aliens.

If a multitude of species co exist then it makes sense their aethestics and fanctionality will be radically different than the human paradigm. So an alien produced or influenced design will certainly seem weird to human eyes.

As for them being in human service or with human crews, capitalism I guess? And human mazochism.

In space, there's no need for aerodynamics, therefore the only important consideration is that the thrusters are at the center of mass. How that center of mass comes to be being a whole other matter entirely.

The idea of asymmetric ships have grown on me over the years, though I'm not that adventurous in my own designs.

A lot of Nasa/modern ships, space stations, satellites in space are asymmetrical, so I always love it especially considering it is realistic/grounded/hard

Asymmetrical ships are, as a concept, problematic when certain design considerations aren't needed. Largely because of all sorts of things that you have to take into a design can have plenty of problems when making them work. Even with artificial gravity and inertia dampening.

Carriers are asymmetrical due to certain design considerations (i.e. they need a tower to help with the launch and landing of aircraft and having towers on both sides is problematic at best) on the blue-water. In space, it's a bit trickier in quite a few considerations. If you're using rotational gravity for your art-grav, then an imbalance is going to cause problems unless you've got some pretty good tech to counter it. A lot of the current station designs are based on the fact of limited lift capacity and various interactions with equipment. Even then, they have a core, symmetrical 'spine' or 'core' of sorts. Hence why you'll be seeing fewer and less asymmetrical ships in scifi outside of the blue-water carriers.

Back
Top Bottom